Saturday, December 2, 2023

The Journey Continues - Me, Myself & I



It's been more than a bit since I blogged. Life happened, continues to happen and so many details seem to get in the way of reflecting on what is happening.  
I just returned from a solo trip to Disney World. People ask, (with looks of disbelief I might add), "You went to Disney World by yourself?"

    "Yes", I reply, "By myself." Whoever asked the question will generally look puzzled for a bit. This to them, seems unheard of, unnatural, weird.  I totally understand, I do. I've spent much time with family over the years at Disney World. I have memories of the excitement, joy, frustration of multiple family members experiencing Disney World with all of its beauty, music, excitement, entertainment. 
However, this year, I chose to go alone. 

     I work with young adults who are finding their way in the world. Anyone working with young adults will understand that 'finding their way' can and does involve a lot of struggle. That struggle translates into behaviors that can be less than shall we say desirable to be around. My goal is, to help people, and to do no harm.

    Often that means bearing with the struggling individual who might be over-the-top in how they are expressing themselves. Enough said. Over time, holding steady while people are spinning out is wearing...... it's as if my energy bank flashes on and off, "Warning! Warning!"
   And so I planned my trip. Oh note to self, unless you've been to Disney World, a lot of what I feel might seem to be a bit too much of 'fairy dust', and hyperbole. 

   Not for me, I have walked, watched, listened, participated in so many wonderful, experiences while at Disney World, it is my 'happy place'. So with that in mind, I planned my get away. Watching U-tube videos, researching strategies to experience as much as I could every waking moment of the Disney Days. 

   Now, home for over a day, I look back on my week at Disney World and treasure every moment. From the moment I arrived at the Orlando Airport, people were nice to me. The airport transport driver, so kind, friendly. The All Star Movies motel staff, "Wonderful!!!" I arrived early morning after an all night, 'red-eye' flight. Check in at hotel, is 4 pm. I explained my situation and the staff, helped me with a room, immediately. I found my room, clean, soft beds, pleasant, near a huge statue of Woody from Toy Story. I felt at home. 

   For a brief moment I thought, "Hmm, I guess I should sleep." I should have put that brief as BRIEF!
Unpacking my belongings quickly I headed out to the Parks. As I waited outside the hotel for the next Disney bus I reflected that one of the reasons  I love staying at Disney Hotels is because they are kind, helpful, and they have transportation right there. I've rented cars before at Disney World but that just complicates things.

   Hopping on a Disney Bus just brings more magic. I love watching the families. So precious!! Their special clothes, happy faces, excitement about going to the parks and riding their favorite rides, and seeing their favorite characters. While riding the bus on the way to the Park, I pray silently and thank God for allowing me this break to refresh my heart, soul, mind, body and spirit.  

   It would take me a whole book to describe all the wonderful things I did all 6 days in the Parks. All the people I met, the stories I heard, the special moments where  I wanted to cry because I felt so happy.
I'll share just one example. One day, an Animal Kingdom day I decided to ride the little train  next to Kilimanjaro Safari. I've taken the train ride, maybe a dozen times before. It goes past the places animals stay when not outside, and ends up in an animal hospital where some animals have surgery.
 

 They have re-themed a large area in the same building as an animation, drawing experience. The walls are incredibly painted with pictures of hundreds of animals. You can watch the surgeries through glass windows. A Disney cast member came over and talked with me. She is an animator, and is one of several staff who teach the drawing class. She walked me around the facility showed me the drawings on the walls, gave me the history. She described the drawing  class and with some hesitation, I decided to join the class. Another Disney animator walked Disney guests through drawing a cartoon character. At first I felt silly, I'm not much of an artist. But it ended up being fun! I listened, I watched and I drew. Surprisingly my drawing looks cool, (to me). 

   I finished the class and went outside to walk back to the train. I saw the sweet cast member who had visited to me, taken me on a tour of the facility and encouraged me to take the class.  "It was fun!" I told her and thanked her for helping me. She smiled, and handed me a huge drawing she had made of Minnie Mouse. "Here", she said, handing me the drawing. "I want you to have this." Wow!! How cool." I thought. She asked me my name, put it on the drawing with her name and the date. I stored the drawing at Guest Services while I completed my day at the Park. A treasure now for me to frame and remember that happy experience. 

   For 6 days I soaked up the magic. Enjoying every moment, walking 6 - 7 + miles a day. There were so many special experiences on rides, on boats, on Monorails, on buses, at presentations, restaurants. I met so many people and had so much fun. 

  In the mornings, before the parks I read my devotionals, my Bible and drank my coffee. I am grateful to God that I was able to take this trip. Blessed beyond measure. God is faithful. When He sees life is a bit "too much" for his children, He mercifully helps us.


  Going back to work after getting in at midnight the night before, I felt calm, ready to face the challenges of working with youth struggling to find their paths in the world. I try and help every student I meet. Sometimes, I can see that I have helped and that's a great feeling. Other times, I can't see that I've made any impact. However, one special joy and a privilege I have in my current employment is driving students to church. Any given Sunday I don't know who will come to my building and put their name on the list to ride in the van to church. But I do know that some of these students have connected with their Higher Power, God, and those life-changing decisions will impact the rest of their life in a good way. 

    I love the following verse. I believe that God saw my  heart, my need and allowed me this time away to rest, refresh and renew.

   "God is faithful, and He will not let you be tested beyond your strength but with your testing He will also provide the way out so that you may be able to endure it."I Corinthians 10:13

  If in your life, right now you are facing things too difficult, too painful to bear, pray and ask God to help you and He will. 
  Always,
  Robin
    

   

No comments:

Post a Comment