Saturday, September 6, 2014

Last Days of Summer..................

Last days of summer……………

          Today was the hottest day of the year. Early morning bright, clear skies, sun warming the earth with hot, yellow rays early in the day. I wanted to drive to the ocean and escape the heat by walking bare-footed in the cold, bracing surf. Instead, I stayed home and did a favor for one of my children who needed me to watch my two young grandsons while other family came together to paint a house.

          Early, I drove to the store and stocked up on food for the little ones. Green sweet grapes, turkey sandwich meat, pepperoni and cheese to make pizza, another gallon of milk. Together we weathered the heat and the day. I showed them all the children’s video’s I had unpacked earlier this week. In unison they would ask, ”Did you buy this for me?” Again and again I tried to explain I had bought them for their mom when she was little; or their uncle when he was little but at 3 and 5 that particular concept is beyond their comprehension. They asked questions about each movie; “What was it about?” and the ever-present,  “Did you buy it for me?”

          While they looked over movies I readied the kitchen, making pizza dough, cutting up toppings and setting up their pizza making areas. The boys, hearing the fridge open, kept running down the hall and kept begging pepperoni slices to eat by the handfuls. Finally, the dough was ready and I gave each boy a ball of dough and a floured bread board to knead it on. I showed them how to press, fold and turn the dough until it wasn’t “sticky” anymore. Then I showed them how to use a big old marble rolling pin to roll the dough flat. They patted their dough in oiled pie pans, carefully pat, pat, patting it into shape.

homemade pizza from www.simplyrecipes.com          I got out 1930’s desert cups I’ve never used and poured in tomato sauce for each boy. I gave them small spoons and showed how to put the sauce on their dough. I thought they’d enjoy using their fingers to spread the tomato sauce but they chimed, “No Gramma, could you spread it with your fingers please?” A bowl of shredded cheese and they had fun covering the red sauce with the bright orange cheddar. Their eyes lit up when I brought out the platter I had used with sections to put the cut up toppings; small home grown cherry tomatoes; chunks of white turkey meat; slices of spicy pepperoni; small chunks of pineapple. They had so much fun adding the toppings. They were careful too; little tiny artisans creating their masterpieces.

          A last layer of cheese and in the oven the pizzas went. The timer was set and we retired to the movie watching. The decision was reached to watch a Sponge Bob movie. The two small brothers, both climbed up into the rocker-recliner that’s in their room at Gramma’s and I sat on the twin bed. Amazingly the movie was interesting. For a while I had watched so much Sponge Bob with my grandson Jesse, I was, “Sponge Bobbed” out. This movie, however kept all our interests. Now and then they would inquire about the pizza being done. One of them followed me out to the kitchen when I went to check on it.

          Finally their piping hot layers of yummy goodness were out of the oven and cooling on the counter. I cut tiny wedges and took them into the movie room. The youngest grandson looked me dead in the eye and said, “Gramma, Could you please take the stuff off the pizza?” I looked back at him just as steadily, “You made the pizza and whatever you don’t want you can go ahead and take off.” He glanced at me again and left the pizza untouched. The other child didn’t want any pizza either. Hilarious.

          The movie ended and the heat became oppressive and the younger grandson and I got the hose going on the back deck. He filled a large blue tub and played for a long while; floating plastic trucks and pretending to cook and having me taste everything. Watching “Flushed Away" in the family room, the five year old finally decided the heat had got to him too and changed into shorts. I got him a green tub and he filled it up, again and again, loving to jump in slosh most of the water out yelling, “Cannon Ball!” at the top of his lungs. They both decided me spraying them with the hose was the funnest thing ever and for a long while they delighted in the cool spray with the abandon of joy that only young children experience. “Rainbows!” they cried, “Rainbows!” “Gramma make bigger rainbows!”

          Eventually we all tired of this and retreated to the family room to watch the rest of, “Flushed Away.” The smallest grandson, using his best ever big-boy 3 year old voice said, “Grandma, could I have some cheese please?”  So with a small sigh over the neglected plates of pizza I got him a bowl of shredded cheese. He ate it promptly then moved over from his window seat to come sit closer to me. He eyed me steadily again, “I’m hungry Gramma. If I don’t eat I’ll die!”  Well I couldn’t help but smile at the drama since he’d already turned down pizza and a bowl of grapes, but I obligingly made him a turkey sandwich on soft potato bread. I got him a glass of milk and he sat near the large family room window, contentedly munching his sandwich.

          The five year old announced he’d like a sandwich also, “But don’t cut mine Gramma.” Then the two of them almost conspiratorially, decided to inquire whether I had washed their cups. I reassured them the cups were clean but they both looked at me suspiciously. Again hilarious.

          I got up to get more milk for the youngest child, and then I stand at the fridge, asking the other child, “Would you like more milk?” I ask twice. I go sit down and I hear the five year olds distinct voice, “More milk please.”  I get up and remind him I just had asked him, he appears not to hear me but inspects the cup I hand him with serious intent.

          The temperature is about 100 degrees, it is hot, sticky and little air seems to move from the spinning ceiling fan. Fed, full and somewhat cooled off by the long play in water the boys start to liven up. The three year old steps, (felt like stomped) repeatedly on my bare feet. “Stop,” I ask, “You’re hurting my toes.” I see a small smile break at the corners of his cherubic face. His eyes twinkle a bit and I realize just possibly one or more of those stomps on my toes might have been a little less than accidental. The boys start rough housing with each other; the older swinging his brother around by his shirt narrowing missing a coffee table corner. “Stop boys” I tell them somewhat sternly. “Mom and dad don’t want to come home to find you hurt. You can’t play like that with furniture around.”

          “Come on,” I encourage them, “Let’s get things picked up. Mommy and daddy will be here soon.” No one moves, but undeterred I start picking up their things and putting them together. Parents finally get there, visit for a while and my daughter is kind of surprised when I finally say, “Ok guys, lets get your stuff maybe mom and dad will let you play in the hose when you get home!”

          My daughter looks at me and asks, “What’s wrong?”  I tell her honestly, “Nothing, but I’m tired! The boys are very, very active and you’ve got to watch them every single minute or they get into something.” She smiled, “I know” she agreed, it’s like that for me every day.”

          Shoes on, bags packed ready to go I stand by the fridge and ask the 5 year old if he wants to take home his pizza. He looks at me, looks up, takes a rather long pause then raises one hand and very seriously answers, “Ah, no.” My daughter smiles, I half-laugh, I have pizza in my fridge for a lot of my week. My daughter says, “Well mom, you can eat it.” “Yes,” I agree, “I can eat it, but some of their toppings are this thick!” (holding up my fingers to show a generous inch or two.)

          One of the last hot days of summer shared with two adorable grandsons whose active engagement in life challenges me to ask the question, “Whatever happened to my “joie de vivre?” Why shouldn’t I be just as happy about the small things in life as they are?

          Well, if you’re reading this, I think you are probably an adult. And for everyone I know, staying happy in the midst of the trials of life, (bills, health, relationship, problems, problems, and more problems) is a huge challenge. For me, I would like to say that my faith in God buffets all these factors for me and I am perpetually in a state of joy; but that would be a lie. Many of the people I know use drugs and alcohol, (prescribed and unprescribed) to ‘take the edge off things.” For me, overweight and again, (yes again) out of shape it’s impossible to deny that I find comfort in food.

          Well, and as tempting as it might sometimes sound, I’m not having my physician prescribe me a little something to take the edge off. I’m not throwing stones at people who do this, but I do know that for me it would be a cop out of sorts. If I believe that God loves me; if I believe that He hears and answers prayers; if I believe that no matter what He’ll see me through; then if I’m not happy, it’s a spiritual issue and no amount of taking the edge off will fix that.

          So, as the heat begins to subside and the breeze ruffles the outside window leaves I make my plans to seek the ocean tomorrow; and some serious prayer time with God. As the ocean winds breathe the summer over-ripe heat from my soul may my prayers wash away the things that keep my face, faith and outlook from being secure in the love of God. May I find renewal and rediscover my joy in the morning.

          Be loved and be blessed……seek His face; find His grace….sorrows erase.

 Thou wilt show me the path of life. In thy presence is fullness of joy. At thy right hand are pleasures for evermore.  Psalm 16:11

          

No comments:

Post a Comment