Sunday, July 26, 2015

Waitng for hope.................................



Yesterday Columbia River
     This morning, waking up I realized that the mornings are my favorite part of the day. I look forward to reading my devotional books, my Bible, praying and spending time seeking God’s presence. These times are precious to me. Recently, several situations in my life have weighed upon my heart heavily. I have experienced sadness, and a longing for a respite from the continued struggle. I’ve felt less inclined to be hopeful that things would be resolved in a good, happy way.

A friend, asked by text how I was doing yesterday as the dogs and I paddled in the waters of the Columbia river, secluded on a private stretch of beach, away from distractions of life, people and problems. I texted back, “Today, I am struggling with sadness.”

For me, believing in God, trusting in God, I have to come to grips with the fact that there are times when situations appear bleaker, that the waiting seems longer, the realization of hopes seems dimmer.

Reading a devotional for today in my Streams in the Dessert, by Cowman, These words spoke to my heart:

Water was perfect
For we through the Spirit by faith wait for the hope of righteousness.” Galatians 5:5.

“There are times when things look very dark to me- so dark that I have to wait even for hope. It is bad enough to wait in hope, to see no glimmer of a prospect and yet refuse to despair; to have nothing but night before the window and yet o keep the window open for possible stars; to have a vacant place in my heart and yet to allow that place to be filled by no inferior presence- that is the grandest patience in the universe. It is Job in the tempest, it is Abraham on the road to Moriah, it is Moses in the desert of Midian, it is the Son of Man in the Garden of Gethsemane.
          There is no patience so hard as that which endures, ‘as seeing him who is invisible’ it the waiting for hope”
          George Matheson

Dogs and I enjoyed our swim

Right now, in my life, I am waiting for hope. Some situations have gone on so long, and there is seemingly no end to the painfulness. A dear friend of many years comforted me some time ago with these words, “Our beloved son, went into a deep, dark and horrible lifestyle for 40 years. My husband and I wept and prayed for those years. A time came when I just put my son on the altar so to speak and placed him in God’s hands. Finally, after 40 years in the darkness, my son stepped out of that awful lifestyle, turned his heart to God and was restored to peace and wholeness.”

          At 65, I do not have another 40 years to wait for answers to prayers. It is possible that some answers will not come in my lifetime. Seeking God’s peace in the middle of this acknowledgement of not being allowed to see the restoration of lives, of situations, of brokenness being made whole is challenging for me. It is a learning to let go and learn to trust that God is good and He’s “got this”.

          So today, stretching up before me with just 12 hours remaining of my waking hours I send up prayers to my heavenly Father, for my family members, for my friends and their family members, for my work situations, for my patients, for my home.  I even pray for my pets, which to people who are not pet lovers is going to seem odd, but I love my old cat, two faithful, (albeit annoying with their barking) dogs.

          The sun just peaked through the gray skies and it is another phenomenal gorgeous summer day.

Our secret beach   peaceful
          I believe God is faithful, He is merciful, He will strengthen me to go through these situations and when He decides, he will raise His hand, speak the Word, “It is enough!”  Until then, I am thankful for His word that provides a continuing source of comfort, encouragement and strength. I am thankful for His presence which gives me comfort through the valleys of life

          Today,
“May the God of all comfort give you joy and peace in believing.”
         
“Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning!”
Always,
Robin
         


No comments:

Post a Comment