Thursday, February 4, 2016

In God's Waiting Room

     
     There are those days, when the sun shines, the air is fresh and crisp and it just feels like good things are going to happen. 

     Those mornings, it's easy to face a to-do list because your mood, your spirit are ready to face anything. On those days, you set out, hopes high and wait for something good to happen.


      Understandably, inevitably, those days aren't the norm. I have found that moods aren't dependent on circumstances, but are apt to present themselves with all their challenges without warning, leaving you struggling to find the natural buoyancy that accompanies a good mood and wondering what happened.

    A lot of life has "what happened?" moments. As a senior in America, increasingly I am discovering that by in large respect for elders is decreasing. In a time when I could use support, encouragement and respect, it is discouraging to see that many, many people see Elders as people who are in the way of their "good time".  Elders are known as "buzz kills", "kill-joys", "old fogies", "stuck in the past", "narrow-minded", "biased", "prejudiced", "Old-fashioned",  the list goes on. 

     In some ways, it makes me want to retreat to the safety of my home, away from the snide remarks, rude comments, aggressiveness that all too often marks many of the younger people I meet, or have worked with.  Along with the flagrant disregard I've seen for Elders is the concomitant disregard for honesty.  I seen people who think nothing of using lying as a coping mechanism to cover up mistakes. Make a mistake? It's ok, just lie about it.

   
     Oh, there are wonderful young people. I know some and their integrity isn't something the take lightly. They have a firm sense of right and wrong, they believe, (for the most part) in God, and have a respect for life, family and Elders. 


 However, they are not in the majority.  So, staying positive in these later years of my life is a bit more challenging. (That's putting it mildly). 
   
 I find reading my Bible in the first part of the day, and late at night helps a great deal to stay focused on eternal values and helps me let go of the pain. Having devotional books to read, and help me focus supports a positive attitude. Praying, and then praying some more helps with the hurt and resentments. 

   I realize I was fortunate, I had good, responsible parents. They provided for me, they loved me. I am way ahead of the "life game" there. I also have had many, many opportunities in life. I have been blessed. And most importantly, I have had the wonderful priviledge to be a Christian for many years. Don't think I believe that makes me perfect, no, I know better than that. But it does make me aware of being forgiven, of learning about responsibility for my actions, and most painful, (growing through my mistakes). 

   The other day I was having some pain, physical, and I asked God, "God, can I live a while yet? I really enjoy my grandchildren."  Staying focused on enjoying the simple events in my life enables me to gradually get over some of the more painful experiences from the hands of people who brutally think Elders are just in their way. 

   Some of me wants to rise up, with other seniors and form a group to support each other before the social climate reaches the point where it's voted into law to euthanize everyone over 60.  Brave New Word, isn't that far from today, for sure. But then, as I look at life, evaluate my relationship to God I realize this phase of my life is going to need a different approach.

   Unlike much of our American culture, God doesn't put Seniors on the shelf, He has plans for them up to and including the day they die and they leave this earth. Praying to find that plan, and follow it is my Plan A. Seek God and follow in His footsteps,  even if I'm going a little slower, God doesn't mind.

Deuteronomy 31:8

"The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."

No comments:

Post a Comment