Friday, May 23, 2014

Finding God's Fingerprints

Memorial Day Weekend 2014
Friday May 23, 2014


         It’s early here. The woods are alive with birds greeting the rains with their songs. I am delighting in the joy of having four days off ahead of me and I luxuriate in having time to savor my coffee and devotionals. No rush, rush, rushing to get to work on time, just relaxing knowing I have a wealth of time.

          
             My father, whom I dearly loved, spoke seldom about God. He was a businessman, busy with life, earning money, taking care of his family. He believed in God, had accepted Jesus as his Savior at an earlier age, but the ‘cares of this world’ had kind of nudged the whole ‘God thing’ out of his everyday life. For many years, it was mom who took us to Sunday School, church and prayer meetings. Dad stepped back from attending and used Sundays for yard work, watching sports on TV and relaxing. It wasn’t until Dad retired that things changed in his life. A nagging pain in his side that bothered him through the years finally became unbearable. He sought help and surgery revealed he had cancer.

          For mom, her companion, provider was now a wounded warrior and she found herself abruptly in a caregiver role. Mom’s pastor from the tiny Woodland, Washington church she attended, made home visits.  Gradually as the pain and devastation of the fast advancing cancer took it’s toll, dad turned again to God. Myself, a single parent, attending college up north, took the Amtrak train down to see dad. I was shocked. My strong tall, (6.4”) father was reduced to a near skeleton. Not only had his physical appearance changed, but his spirit had changed also. He was anxious to share with me and impart some wisdom knowing his days were growing short.

          “Robin,” Dad began, “I’m worried about you because you always pick a man  to love who is so desperately needy. Don’t pick that kind of man. Find someone who is strong and healthy. And when you find one of these men to love, don’t share your whole past with them. They don’t need to know every mistake you've ever made.”

          I gulped and held my peace. These were difficult words to hear.

 He went on,
“And another thing; you always see the glass half empty, you never see it full. You’ve got to look at life more from a positive side.”  He paused for a moment and seemed to sink into himself. Then is a more hushed tone, “Robin,” he spoke tenderly,  "One last thing, I've seen God more in His timing than in any other way.”

          This week at work I’ve been getting to know my new office partner. Young, excited about his new job, he shared that he is a believer, (in Jesus). Admittedly I sighed a sigh of relief. The last person I shared with well, let’s just say he wasn’t what you’d say all that interested in God.

          Well, it’s impossible not to help people if you are linked by a common space. So over the last week,  I've answered questions, given materials, watched this young man go through the process of meetings, training, orientations and so on. I can see much giftedness in this young man and the potential to be able to reach many of the young people we work with. I can also see that for many of the tasks we do, he is more suited than I. I have shared these observations with him, to encourage him, to let him know I am o.k. with him settling into some of the things I do now. In my heart of hearts, I looked at this young man, lots of tattoos, ear gauges, bright warm smile, and I had the inner awareness that before me sat a possible future youth pastor.

          He and I discussed the fact that he is getting training on everything, step by step, carefully being groomed for him to be good at what he is doing. Situations have been such that this careful training has not always been the case. People have had illness, life crisis, people have left positions on and on. He however, arrived at exactly the right time and place to be able to excel in his position. In the course of our conversations about life, about God, about situations, I shared what my father had shared with me, “I see God’s hand more in His timing than anywhere else.” He seemed to think this over and expressed some sense of gratefulness for this being now, his time, his place and God's timing.

I also shared with this young man that my church women’s Bible Study group has been praying for me and my work. Additionally, that I truly believe that God heard their prayers, mine and others and brought him there at this time, and at this place to help our hurting teenagers.

          Today, reading my devotionals there were several things that stood out to me with so much impact that I want to share them here. Being available, being the right person, at the right time and the right place also involves being willing to allow God to have His way in your life. As with any commitment, there are things that get in our way, just like my Dad’s career and his commitment to God. Today’s devotional shed some light on this situation. In  My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers todays reading explained the scripture passage in Mathew 6. The observations Chambers made were that Jesus said, “Be careful that the cares of this world, (worries, work, relationships, bills, health, careers, family, etc.) don’t choke out the Word in your life.”

          Wow, what a message. Not, “Watch out for the devil.” Not, “Look out for those evil people trying to get you.” But, don’t let your involvement and worries about life get in the way of your relationship with God and His purpose for you in this world. Talk about paying attention to the fact that we get sidetracked with life and get off the right path!  For my dad, that happened. He accepted Christ as his Savior at a Billy Graham crusade in Seattle. He and my mother quit the Elks club with the parties, drinking and gambling and started out in a church home, the old Bible Baptist church in downtown Auburn, Washington.

          However, dad started making money in his business, and the business, the cares of this world took over. Not until he was sick, broken in health did he return to the relationship with God that he put on hold. What did that cost him and the others whose lives he might have reached? How much of could have been, would have been and should have been didn't happen we will never know.

          For me, all I can say is, “Ditto.” I allowed my family, my home, my career to keep me entrenched in the “cares of this world” mentality and the could of, would of, should ofs piled up finding me older, willing. but with limited time to fulfill God’s purposes. Now this young man that shares my office, he’s young. He has the time to look for and find God’s fingerprints on his life. He has the time opt to choose the path that will lead out of being side-tracked with the cares of this world and find his one true purpose.

          Speaking of finding God’s fingerprints in your lives, I found something this morning I want to share. In another devotional, A Gentle Spirit, (published by Harbour 2000), several women share their insights about how they've taught their children to look for God in their world. They listed four ways they most often have perceived God in the world. I would like to list them here.

1)    Answered prayers- you pray for a situation to resolve; you pray for help; you pray for family; and then the answer comes, (sometimes when the situation seems impossible.)
2)    Unexpected evidence of his care. (Special gifts you needed, or wished for that you didn’t tell anyone about and someone gives them to you. Many other ways.)
3)    Unusual linkage or timing. (the right, the right place, the right person, the right situation, against possible odds.)
4)    God’s supernatural help to do the job you have to do in this world. (Strength when you have no more. Resources when yours are gone. Love when yours is exhausted. Faith when you have no more hope. Knowledge when you are at wits end.)

If you, like I, have been looking for God’s fingerprints in your own lives, I hope something of what I’ve shared will help. May you gain perspective on your own journey, your own purpose, your own renewal of vision. If any of this has helped you, please drop me a line. I would love to know how you are doing.


Take care and be blessed, remember God’s promise;

Joy will come in the morning.

          Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment