Thursday, June 28, 2012

Day 5: Sunrise on the Mountain




The Hills I view each morning
     This morning while ironing I looked out the living room window, I saw hills, sky and the pink kiss of the day's first smile bathing the hills with it's glow. How I treasure seeing the hills. It is with a continual sense of joy that I devour the sight of trees and hills. I do not know if I shall ever live in a climate with brown, treeless hills, but for now, I have the richness of all this green.
   
Mt. Rainier
      Growing up, I lived on a hill in a rural area outside Auburn, Washington. Our home had large picture windows in every room that looked out to the vast acres of dairy farms. On the horizon the majestic Mt. Rainier framed every vista. I knew that mountain each morning as the sunrise colored it peaks, pink and gold. Mom always cooked breakfast for the family and we would start our day around the kitchen table, day's first birds making their way across the lawn the mountain in our view.


Eagle Creek
     I grew up enjoying woods, trees and views of field. I was truly blessed. The love of nature was bound into my soul and always I found my deepest joys in going to the hills. Early on I shared this love of the mountains with my children. I remember their small faces as I took them on the first mountain trail. The deep forest canopy awed them, the sharp drops of the trail somewhat frightened them. I held fast to the youngest ones hands and up we went, single mom with her four children in tow. 

     Once my son who was about four at the time grew very fearful on a hiking trip and suddenly made a break for it. He turned and ran down the trail as fast as his little legs could take him. I called his name in vain as on he went running fleeing for safety. I continued to call, and herded the other three children back down the winding trail, carrying the smallest in my arms. Finally at the bottom I caught up with my small son, winded by his break-neck run down the trail. In vain I tried to talk him into going back up the trail. He shook his head firmly, "No!" He was deadset against trying it again, the trail was too foreign and frightening to him.
   
View while hiking Eagle Creek
      There were other days and other trips and the children became accustomed to hiking. Eagle Creek in the Columbia Gorge became one of our favorite spots. Once, we hiked almost ten miles up the trail, early morning's sun creating shadowed patterns on the hills. I carried, (yes carried a watermelon) and our lunch. We found a spot off the trail and our feet dangling in the ice cold creek, small fish tickling our toes, we ate our lunch. For dessert I broke the watermelon on a rock and we sat eating the sweet, red fruit enjoying the clear mountain stream. My children had lost their fear of the hills.

    In my life, there have been many times, I've feared the mountains ahead. Things have seemed too difficult, or frightening. Again and again, I've placed my hand in God's hand and timidly stepped out onto unknown trails. Sometimes like my small son, I've run back down the trail away from the challenges, scared of the unknown. Later, bolstered by prayer, reading my Bible the encouragement of loved ones I've tried again. How glad I am that God is the author of second chances. How I've needed them in my own journey.

Punch Bowl Falls at Eagle Creek
     Yesterday, facing the challenges of working at the treatment center, I decided to start leaving the building for lunch. I stayed on track with my eating with apples, cheese and yogurt. I enjoyed some fresh air, sun and sights of spring, growth green. Coming back into the treatment center, I heard my name being called, "Robin where were you?" I could not answer them, "I was feeding my soul," but truly I was. The times I get away, to refresh, regroup and refire are the times I build up the love bank in my soul. God is good, I have so many moments in my day to rekindle my purpose, to renew my commitment. It is essential in all of our lives to take those moments, to create those memories and find our own mountain top experiences.

Today may your journey include moments to enjoy the fingerprints of God in the beauty of nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment