Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Day 11: The happiest place on Earth


Entry into Magic Kingdom
     Six years ago I was planing a vacation and discovered it was as cheap to fly to Florida as to drive to California. I'm not much of a world traveler but the idea intrigued me. Florida, images of oranges and palm trees began dancing in my head. I spent hours exploring web sites of hotels, page after page of reviews. I visited the Disney World website looking at rides, shows and events. "Yes," my mind argued, "It's a very long way away." "But, how much fun would that be!"
     The fun won out and taking a chance I booked flights for myself and two grandchildren. Away we went ready to explore. The red eye flight proved somewhat tiresome. The airlines had somehow 'shrunk' your allotted seat space and I found myself squeezed into a very small space and wanting to sleep. Getting off the plane in Florida, finally, it was dawn. Wow, I felt like Dorthy in the Wizard of Oz. The flowers, palm trees and sunshine! It was if we had stepped into a different world.
Ferry Boat into Magic Kingdom
     The first trip, I did the economy plan and we took the shuttle buses from the hotels to the parks. That in itself was an adventure. How interesting to see people from all around the world, different languages, different cultures all excited about Disney World. People from other countries were very friendly and the conversations were ones I will always treasure.
     On the ten mile trip, we begin to see signs of Disney! Billboards with Animal Kingdom and Epcot. Animated signs sharing the thrills of Tower of Terror. We were getting closer!! Finally, a large colorful arch declared, Welcome to Disney World! Impatiently we could hardly wait to get off the bus. Finally we were out and figured out what we were doing. I purchased 10 day passes for each of us and then chose our destination. I decided we'd explore Magic Kingdom first, it was and is the traditional Disney. Tickets in hand we discovered the fascination of getting to choose whether to take a ferry boat or monorail to the Magic Kingdom.
Epcot
     Unless you've been there, trying to share the wonder of having four parks to explore is impossible. We spent the next ten days finding all the nooks and crannies of Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, and Magic Kingdom. We ate, drank, existed Disney. So many favorite spots! I can't begin to tell you how much I love Kali River Rapids. Even the pathway to get to the ride is awesome. Once on the ride the beautiful trees overhead take you to a different world. The joy and excitement of the fellow riders is a delight to see.
     There are dozens, yes dozens of fun, fun rides. I'm not a thrill ride person by any means and I still found many, many awesome rides I went on again and again. At night, the firework displays are incredible. The music, the inspirational moments breath-taking.
Aninal Kingdom Tree of Life
     I could talk all day about my Disney World trips. I've lost count but I think I've gone 8 times in the last 7 years. For me it has been a way to relax my mind and soul from the challenges of life and work as a counselor. Recently someone scolded me on my Disney trips. "I don't understand how you could spend so much money on an amusement park." They shared earnestly, hoping to help me see the light of reason. I shook my head, only a true Disney fan could understand the magic.
Elephants on Safari Ride
     At the treatment center where I work, I try to teach my clients how essential it is to their recovery to plan fun into their days. That without planning for times of relaxing, staying clean and sober will became more challenging. They nod their heads, but I continually hear stories of people working so hard at "recovery" that life loses it's meaning and they relapse because they are exhausted working at being clean. For each of us, in whatever stage of life we are in, finding balance is crucial to our being our best.
Hall of Presidents- Magic Kingdom
     In my own life I'm learning that dusting furniture is becoming a lost art; that it's more important to my well being, physical, emotional and spiritual to plans adventures where I rest, restore, and refresh and give me the resources I need to encourage and strengthen others on their journey.
Today the Fourth is beginning, I hear grandkids waking up wondering what the day will bring. With God's help I will try to make some memories for these little ones; taking a few moments for myself hopefully at the coast to enjoy the ocean air, and hike a sandy beach, perhaps planning my next trip to Disney World!




May your today's be a mixture of the have to do's and the want to do's, and the just plain fun to do's...understanding we have a God who teaches us how to run and not be weary, to walk and not lose faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment