Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Day 10: America, a birthday worth remembering


     The Fourth of July is one of the days that's 'a kid kind' of holiday. Parades, picnics, trips to the beach; for me it's a day filled with many happy memories. Growing up, my mother always made holidays as special as she could. She and my dad would work together to make it a family time.

     She and my dad had met early in life in the small town of Woodland. My dad loved to tell the story of how he had been on a logging job and had taken some time off to go hunting. As he told it, he had shot and killed two ducks. He took these ducks to the local diner, put them on the counter and told the cook, (my mom) to fix them. She did, and the rest is history.

      Throughout their long marriage she fixed him thousands of meals, and baked as many pies. He loved her cooking and she loved making him happy. Holidays were no exception. She would plan, shop and prepare. The Fourth was never the Fourth without her potato salad, several pies, and all the fixings for hamburgers and hotdogs. It was fun to see all the plates and platters full of food. Often we would drive to the ocean and spend a few days at a family member's cabin. She would pack up all the goodies, get all five of us children ready and away we'd go. There other relatives would gather, swap stories, and specialties round the living room filled with nautical treasures, shells, fishing floats, old calenders hanging from nails. There was an old black stove in the kitchen that you would fill with wood. It had a flat iron top and there breakfasts of pancakes, bacon and eggs would fill the air with welcoming smells.

     For me getting the fireworks was an exciting highlight of the day. I would take my money tightly in my fist and go to the local firework stand and there stand for a long while, carefully considering all the various gadgets and gizmo's. I'd ask a thousand questions and the patient counter person would answer, how much they cost and what they did. My favorite things were sparklers and "snakes". Snakes are small black pellets that when lit, grow and make magical dragon-like trails of black, puffy snakes. Sparklers would find me waving them at night, making showers of patterns as I traced designs in the night.


     At the beach, often times relatives would bring bag after bag of fireworks. An uncle, an electrician would wire the stands and get paid in product. Roman candles, reams of firecrackers were all new exciting additions. At age five, I remember watching an older cousin light his fireworks from what I thought was a safe distance. He put one red package on the ground and bent over to put the "punk" next to the fuse. The next thing I knew, off the firework went, whistling loudly and chasing me! I ran for all I was worthy, my chubby legs carrying my short, plaid clad self down the dirt driveway. A loud bang exploded near me and I retired to watch a longer distance away.

     Tomorrow, another Fourth. Sunday we sang patriotic songs, rousing. I felt like saluting the flag as beloved melodies cheered our country and our God. Being patriotic is a lost art for some, caught up in a work-a-day world where harsh realism is the order of the day. I don't think it would hurt any of us to relearn how to be patriotic. For me, I love my freedom and realizing it came at the cost of many lives, much hard work and suffering makes it all the more precious.

     I will attend a parade where locals will salute the day, and celebrate America. It won't make the evening news but for the many watching families it will help renew that sense of community, American spirit, and celebration that is the Fourth of July. Throughout the day, picnics, bar-b-ques and family feasts will create more memories as people take time out to enjoy. Night will light the sky with displays of fireworks mirrored in the eyes of children taking in the sight with wonder and delight.

Somewhere in my day, I will take time out to thank God for all the blessings I have to enjoy. I am and we are so fortunate to live in America, the land of the free and the home of the brave. I will try to help create some new memories for kids and grandchildren to help keep alive the tradition that celebrations are important, that country and God create meaning for who we are now and who will be tomorrow. Happy Fourth!

Today and tomorrow celebrate your own blessings.Think of all the reasons you can be thankful. Enjoy the freedom we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment