Monday, August 20, 2012

Day 41 I know where the wild honesuckle grows

The weekend was a little different than I had planned.  A family member needed our help so Friday night and Saturday were spent doing what was needed. Family is family and camping trips, work-out schedules are less important than they are for sure.

Sunday afternoon found me longing for the outdoors and so away we went to the coast. The bikes were loaded in the back of my Ford F-150 and so away we went. Ah, what a delight to ride in that truck. The seats are cushiony, the air-conditioning works, and everything just goest so smoothly. I enjoyed the drive there, glimpses of hills and Columiba River making the trip one of beauty and rest. Finally we got through Astoria and made our way to one of our favorite spots, Fort Stevens State Park. We drove to the ocean, parked the truck and rode the bikes to the start of one of the bike trails. About 4 in the afternoon, we were almost the only bike riders out.  Just us, the trees and the comforting sound of the ocean waves.

 The trail from Iredale to the jetty is one of gentle slopes and restful stretches of flat, paved trail. Eargely we rode, drinking in the fresh ocean air and the smells of the forest. What a beautiful day for a ride. We reached the first beach parking lot, A. We decided to catch the trail to the Historic Site and made our way there. Birds echoed their calls above our heads and glimpses of blue river water shown through the summer's blanket of leaves. Here and there, the first few leaves of fall dotted the path. Several hundred yards down the trail I looked up and saw honeysuckle blossoms covering the branches of a tree. Too high for me to reach, I yearned to catch the sweet wifts of its' perfume.

More riding and the sweet solitude of the ocean forest engulfed us. What luxury to devour this wonderland of peace. Finally we reached a favorite spot, a curver wooden bridge crossing a creek outlet. We rested a few moments admiring the view, and watching the tide pull the creek out to sea. The trail to Historic Site was just a few minutes ride. We skipped the musuem and headed for the jetty trail, an unpaved trail that follows the Columbia River. We traced the large jetty rocks East until we found our path to the river bank. Climbing down is an exercise in caution; one false slip and you can really hurt yourself on the huge, many ton, boulders. I explored the sandy beach, looking for treasures and then found a large, flat boulder on which to strech out and enjoy the view. The cloud a clear, pure blue, had scattered, fluffy white clouds. The water, lapping next to me gave up scents, of  sea and salt.  I lay there smiling up at the sky thinking how lucky I am to be so healthy. I am so thankful!

A rest, a breather and I hear my companion call me.  Next to us in the water, a sleek, brown-black otter, dives and surfaces watching us with sharp black eyes. We watch him and enjoy the delight of being so close to nature.  A few carrots, water and we climb back up the jetty to our bikes. The way back we choose a different trail, and delight of delight, it for some reason is pretty much downhill all the way. I start feeling some pain, but I press through it. Not at risk for a heart attack I realize it is only  my leg and back muscles protesting so much work.

Back at the truck finally, the ocean is as flat as I've ever seen it in my life. It lays like glass, with only one shore wave breaking in white foam against the sand. I drink in it's beauty and find more carrots to munch.

Later a stop at the ranger station for a trail map we discover we bi..ked over 7 miles! Wow, I am impressed. We ride home, content with our outing, worn but relaxed. It was a good day. Later, thoughts of the day come to me as this morning I read my Bible and devotionals. During my prayer time on the way to work, one persistant phrase runs through my mind, "Love suffers long and is kind." For me, this involves a conscious choice of will.  It's not something that comes naturally to me. In the natural me, if someone says something rude to me, I want to respond and let them know I don't appreciate it. Compassion, understanding as factors weighing on people's behaviors constrains me to overlook faults and try to accept, kindness is often God's way of loving people through their difficulties. And so, I continue to pray for the virture of kindness to become a greater part of my character, trusting and believing that God knows, and in due time change will come.

And so, I don't say somethings I could. I hold back and realize there have been plenty of people in my own life who were kind to me when I really didn't deserve it. They were tolerant to me when my behavior was out-of-whack. And, most importantly I pray, for them, and for me that the spirit of love and forgiveness will come from God into my life in a greater degree.

Today, if you are struggling in your own life with people who bug you with their rudeness; look up. God who is the source of all love can help you to love the unloveable, to forgive people who through pain are unable to be nicer themselve. Have a wonderful day and keep looking up. Maybe the honeysuckle in your life is right around the next corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment